I love all of those grocery store magazines at the checkout that show pics of what not to wear. This week I saw one that I just had to share. Here is some fashion advice for Tammy Faye Kim:
- Honey, shoulder pads have not been in since the ’80s. Please go burn that jacket.
- You don’t wear that much eye makeup unless it’s Halloween. That’s five months away.
- It is not a good idea to use a Sharpie as an eyebrow pencil.
Normally I think Kim Kardashian is a fashion icon. I am not sure what was up when she wore this outfit. Am I wrong or is anyone else wondering where is Jim Bakker?
When I first started my writing services Web site last summer, I never anticipated that I would have other bloggers as clients. One of my most requested writing projects these days is a blog Media Kit. If you are a blogger you may be wondering what a Media Kit is or why you need one. Basically, think of a Media Kit as a resume for your blog. It is a package of information that introduces your blog to interested advertisers and answers their questions about it. In addition to providing advertising information, it can explain your policies related to writing reviews or hosting giveaways on your blog.
I wanted to offer you the “tools” you need to write your own Media Kit!
- Contact information. Make sure you include your contact information at the beginning of your Media Kit letting a PR rep or company know how to contact you. If you routinely write reviews or host giveaways on your blog it is a good idea to include your mailing address so they can send product(s) to you without having to filter though various emails to locate your information. I would also include this again at the end of your Media Kit.
- Blog profile. In this section you will describe your blog, your blog content, and yourself. It is very important in a Media Kit to state clearly what your blog is about as well as your subject matter. Be sure to answer what exactly is your niche, and which part of your niche your blog is most focused on. You want to explain why are you a good fit with a potential company or PR representative and how you can add value to a campaign.
- Press. If your blog has been mentioned or featured in the media (actual media not “blog awards” from other bloggers), you should list the publication you were featured in and the date it was published. If you have a direct link or screen shot of the article, you should provide it in this section.
- Blog Statistics. In this section you will want to include any statistics for your blog such as your unique monthly visitors, number of page views, number of subscribers, Google Page Rank, etc. If you are on Twitter, then I would also list your number of followers. Companies are understanding more and more the importance of social media. If you use Twitter to market your blog then they know this means additional exposure for their company.
- Reviews and Giveaways. A Media Kit is a great way to communicate your policies concerning reviews and giveaways. Make sure in this section you include your policies relating to hosting them on your blog including any fees if applicable. If you require the company to ship the item to the winner of your giveaway be sure and include that information as well.
- Advertising. One of the main reason bloggers use media kits is to try and secure advertisers for their blog. If you accept advertisements, you will need to explain clearly the size of ads you accept (125×125, 468×60, 300×250, text ads, etc.) as well as the correlating costs. Be sure to include your methods of payment you accept such as PayPal, money orders, etc. Personally I only accept PayPal as payment. If you write advertorials, include information relating to cost, maximum word length, number of photos, etc.
- Proofread. Proofread. Proofread. I cannot stress enough the importance of ensuring your Media Kit is free from spelling and grammar errors. A company is not going to take you seriously if your Media Kit is laced with errors. The same thing holds true with your blog as well. Your writing should be flawless.
Finally, I want to address the number one question I get asked about writing a Media Kit and that is whether to include it as an attachment on your blog. Personally I choose not to do so because I do not want the general public to know my stats or my advertising rates. I do, however, send out my Media Kit whenever I send a pitch to a company or when it is requested by a PR Rep or company. It is acceptable on your blog to include that you have a Media Kit available and that you would be glad to send it out upon request.
For more information, Mom Bloggers Club has an excellent template on writing your blog Media Kit. Or if you don’t want to write it yourself, you can always hire me to do it for you. In addition to writing Media Kits, I also write press releases, Web site content, marketing brochures and more. Please feel free to contact me for a free quote.
The New York Times is reporting that AT&T, one of the biggest corporate sponsors of American Idol, might have influenced the outcome of this year’s competition which last week declared Arkansas native Kris Allen the winner. According to the article, AT&T provided phones to Kris Allen fans at voting parties which enabled users to send free text messages. AT&T is the only mobile phone network that can be used to cast American Idol votes via text message. No such service was provided to fans of Idol runner-up Adam Lambert.
The article goes on further to state that in addition to providing free phones, representatives of AT&T helped fans of Kris at the two Arkansas voting parties by providing instructions on how to send 10 or more text messages at the press of a single button, known as power texts. Power texts have a much greater effect on voting than do single text messages or calls to the show’s toll-free phone lines.
In my opinion this is a definite violation of American Idol rules. The show broadcasts an on-screen statement at the end of each episode warning that blocks of votes cast using “technical enhancements” that unfairly influence the outcome of voting can be thrown out. I wonder if they are going to do a recount? What is your opinion? Should America get to re-vote because of AT&T’s giving Kris an apparent edge in voting? No wonder America was shocked that he upset Adam. It makes you wonder. Surely this isn’t the last we will hear about this issue.
Published May 26, 2009
A special THANK YOU to my brother-in-law who took these fab photos of Kevin Costner at Lowe’s Motor Speedway for my Wordless Wednesday post this week. Happy WW everyone!
Recently I had a chance to review two gorgeous necklaces from Hip Fusion Designs, a company that specializes in creating handcrafted jewelry incorporating fused metal clay and dichroic glass elements. Each piece is unique and is literally a work of art. I was impressed with the quality of the pieces themselves. I own a ton of jewelry and I cannot tell you how many necklaces I have ordered only to be disappointed when they arrive in the mail due to lackluster quality. The necklaces I reviewed from Hip Fusion Designs are made with only the finest quality materials which are evident right down to the clasp that holds the piece in place around your neck. All of their jewelry comes with a Lifetime Guarantee on both materials and craftsmanship.
I am in love with the Pop Silver Daisy necklace which features three clear crystal lucite drops. Because of the clear crystals, this necklace can go with anything. The necklace also has a gold-plated mini flower which is enhanced by a simple silver chain. I adore this necklace because it is two-tone, making it a very versatile piece in your jewelry wardrobe. I also like to click the lucite drops when I am stressed. I wore the necklace a lot during exam week at school! You can see a picture of me wearing the Daisy necklace on my “About The Write Gal” page. It is one of my favorites!
An equally stunning necklace is The Bling Glass Dangle. I like this one because it comes in so many varieties you can customize it to make it the perfect necklace for you. It comes in your choice of 12 bead colors and three colors of leather cords. The one pictured is made with warm deep brown glass and brown leather cord. My necklace is silver black glass with a black cord. This necklace has extra sparkle with the addition of smaller beads which are a perfect complement to the larger dangle. You can wear this necklace casually with a t -shirt or with your favorite cocktail dress for a dressier look.
If you wear jewelry from Hip Fusion Designs I guarantee you will be the best dressed woman in the room. Their wide selection of necklaces, bracelets, and earrings make the perfect gift for yourself or a friend.
Published May 25, 2009
I was so busy last week I forgot to pull this contest winner. Sorry! Congratulations to Cherry Blossoms who is the winner of my Layers Clothing Giveaway!
Random Integer Generator
Here are your random numbers:
Timestamp: 2009-05-25 14:31:54 UTC
81 Cherry Blossoms
May 4, 2009 at 5:23 pm
I follow you on Twitter @CherryBlossBaby
Thank you to everyone who entered.
I have pretty much predicted all season that Adam Lambert was going to win it all on American Idol. I was shocked when he lost to Kris Allen. I think Kris is great too I just thought Adam would win it all. A few months ago The Little Write Gal made a bet with me – if Adam didn’t win I had to pay her $5, but if he did she had to pay me instead. Well now I am officially out 5 bucks. She was in bed before it was over but as soon as she got up she was dying to know who won to see if she would be $5 richer.
American Idol returns in January. I love that show and I am sure I will be tuning in even though every year I say it will be my last. But if Simon leaves I am gone for sure. He is the main reason I watch. LOVE HIM.
Happy Friday! 8)